So I decided to try my hand at this whole reviews thing, (hopefully I don’t fail at it!)
- Name: Wealthy Affiliate
- Site: wealthyaffiliate.com
- Price: starter membership, $0 get premium here)
- Owners: Kyle and Carson
- Overall rank: 7 out of 10
- who it’s for: everyone really, (you don’t need any experience to start, or you can be blogging for almost 14 years like me!)
What is Wealthy Affiliate?
Wealthy Affiliate is an internet marketing training program, founded by Kyle and Carson in 2005. It’s a lot more than that, though! WA is also a community where you can get pretty much instant help when you ask a question, or send a message within the live chat. Not only do you have access to the video training that Kyle and Carson have done, you also get access to member-written tutorials and blog posts,and you can learn just as much by reading those. If you decide you need help with something, you can either ask in live chat, or ask a question in what I’d call a forum. It’s definitely more instant than most forums now, and more active! I’ve taken screenshots to try and capture both live chat and asking a question. A note about screenshots, I can’t see what it’s capturing, so this might not work that well.
Advantages and disadvantages.
There are a lot of advantages to becoming a member of WA! Here are just a few:
- It’s free, (well the starter membership is free, anyway!)
- WP hosting, WA takes care of everything for you, including the ability to register domains, and set up email. WordPress is installed automatically when you create your site.
- An endless amount of training, well it isn’t endless, but to be honest I’m not sure how many hours of video training there are, and how many member-written blogs/tutorials there actually are.
- Fast, almost instant 24/7 support. If you’re on live chat at 1 something in the morning when you really should be in bed, someone will definitely respond! If you ask a question in the forums, someone will respond within a few minutes.
- Cool social features. If you like social networks and cool web sstuff, then WA is the place to be. I’m following 160 people, and most of those are following back, (I make a habit of following new members.)
- Lots of fun! Well if you think creating sites and helping others while you do it is fun, then you’ll be right at home in the community.
As I see it, there are many more advantages than disadvantages, but there are some, so I’m going to go over them here.
- If you have high standards for site accessibility, this probably isn’t for you. Luckily for me I don’t have high standards! I’ve only discovered one part of the site that I can’t use. That’s the part where you move a site from a free subdomain of .siterubix.com to your own domain. I just couldn’t find the place where it lets you move it to a domain you already own, and I tried 2 screen readers and 3 web browsers while testing it.
- When it comes to hosting, there are things you aren’t allowed to do. This is what led me to change hosts. You aren’t allowed to host a podcast for instance, and there are certain plugins you can’t install, (like WP-SpamShield.)
- RSS is a huge NoNo!! When I politely asked for an RSS feed for content from people I follow, one of the founders said that “RSS is in the past,” and “less than 2% of people use it right now.” Well our current population is 7.5 Billion, so 150 million people are probably using RSS, (give or take 50 million.)
- The only other disadvantage is the price. At $49 per month and $359 per year, it’s expensive when first starting out. They do give you a month of premium for $19, which I gladly took advantage of!
So, who’s Wealthy Affiliate for?
Well, like I said it’s for everyone. You can sign up here, and get started. It requires absolutely 0 experience on your part. On the other hand, you can be a person who’s blogged for nearly 14 years like me, but doesn’t have much marketing experience, and learn from both the video training, and tutorials that members make, (some of which are also videos.)
My final thoughts.
Even at it’s current price of $49 per month, and $359 per year, I think WA is worth a try. I really do love the community and support! We have to keep in mind though, that there are lots of people who’ve learned everything from Wealthy Affiliate, so don’t know any other way of doing things. For them, it’s the WA way, or no way. That being said, I intend on staying for a very long time, simply because I love the community, and the great support you can give and get from them. I’d recommend it over anything else for those trying to get started, simply because we all need to ask for help at some point.
One more time,you can sign up right here! Have fun building your very first website,! Or it could be your first niche site, whatever the case may be, it’s a lot of fun, and if you just put some time into it, you’ll definitely be learning lots and enjoying it in no time!
FTC disclosure: this post contains affiliate links. This means Wealthy Affiliate will stick money in my bank/PayPal account if you sign up with one of the links I’ve used. I’d absolutely love it and do the happy dance for you if you did, because any extra money will go right back into making this site fly higher! Oh, and some of it might go to fueling my site/domain habit on Flippa, but just a little, I mean it!
This was originally posted on February 9th, 2017. Alass, I forgot to export before leaving the WA hosting and lost all my content. I did manage to get a couple posts back, and this one was one of them.